SNAP/Merchant Services
How do I become authorized to accept SNAP?

SNAP/food stamps are issued through the USDA Food and Nutrition Service and its nationwide
network of FNS field offices. These local FNS offices are the first stop for accepting Electronic
Benefit Transfer (EBT) at your market.



Times have changed, and so has USDA. Now you can apply online by clicking here. Applying to accept SNAP benefits at your market is a three step process:

  1. Get a USDA account
  2. Fill out an application online
  3. Mail supporting documentation to complete 

Please keep in mind that the application is not tailored to farmers' markets specifically.

Step 1: Get a USDA account

If you do not have internet access or prefer a paper application, call toll-free at 1-877-823-4369.

Step 2: Apply online

Filling out the online application is fast and easy, and you can start and stop the application process at any time within 30 days.

Required supporting documentation include:

  1. Owner's Name
  2. Home Address
  3. Social Security Number (copy of card or acceptable verification)
  4. Estimated Sales

*Note:  Some municipalities will issue a license to operate a market while others do not. Check with your USDA representative to determine what to include (such as Articles of Incorporation).

Step 3: Complete your application

To complete your application, send all required documentation to your servicing FNS office. A list of required documents and your servicing FNS office is provided during your online application process or in your application packet if you prefer to apply via paper.

FNS may take up to 45 days to process an application once it’s complete.  FNS reviews all applications for accuracy, conduct a background check for past SNAP history, and evaluate your store for eligibility. The Western Region FNS Field Office is responsible for processing the Retailer Application for Scrip Demonstration Projects.  The Western Region covers the States of WA, OR, CA, ID, NV, AZ, HI, and Guam.

SNAP Permits and application questions can be directed to:

Food and Nutrition Service, USDA 
2029 Lloyd Center, Portland, OR 97232-1314
phone: 503-326-5971, fax: 503-326-5973

Once you’re approved, you are eligible to accept SNAP/food stamp cards at your market. The FNS number that you are designated will be used to begin an account with a wireless machine vendor.

To learn more, click on a topic below:

oregon trail